Saturday, September 25, 2010

Dad’s 60th Birthday Party

My dad was born in 1950 so some of us decided to dress in our best 1950’s outfits. It was about 105 degrees so no one was forced into wearing it if they didn’t want to. My mom played old rock’n roll music-my dad’s favorite.

The best 1950’s family definitely goes out to Omar’s family. They all looked awesome!!! Marlee even had a poodle skirt….so cute!

My Dad's 60th Birthday Party 002 

Everyone was nervous about my brother Ozzy being the head chef for this event. My dad is always the cook and is just incredible. I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised with Ozzy’s cooking skills. He gets it from my dad, I’m sure and my dad supervised when he could.

My Dad's 60th Birthday Party 007 My Dad's 60th Birthday Party 009 My Dad's 60th Birthday Party 010

People arrived at their own leasure knowing that all Mexican parties go for hours. This party started at 2pm and the last person left about 11pm.

My Dad's 60th Birthday Party 005My Dad's 60th Birthday Party 014My Dad's 60th Birthday Party 011 My Dad's 60th Birthday Party 006My Dad's 60th Birthday Party 018

By the time we cut the cake there were about 70 people there- not including kids.

My Dad's 60th Birthday Party 023

It was time for my favorite part-THE CAKE!

  My Dad's 60th Birthday Party 020 My Dad's 60th Birthday Party 026 My Dad's 60th Birthday Party 030 My Dad's 60th Birthday Party 037

My mom smeared frosting on my dad’s face.

My Dad's 60th Birthday Party 032  My Dad's 60th Birthday Party 033

My maternal grandfather’s only living brother was there. He is 91 years old-he looks awesome and moves fantastic for 91.

My Dad's 60th Birthday Party 042

Side Story:

This is my Aunt Beva, my mom’s cousin, who made my wedding cake. She and my dad were in the same elementary school classroom. She was always getting bad grades and my dad was always one of the brightest students in the class. She asked my dad if he could do her homework for her and she would pay him. My mom’s family was much better off than my dad’s family. My dad agreed but after awhile he started feeling really bad about it. He realized he wasn’t doing her any favors since she got such bad scores on all her tests. Back in those days you got a severe beating from your teacher, and parents too I’m sure, for getting bad grades. He had witnessed more than one. So he told her he couldn’t do it anymore. My aunt offered him more money but he wouldn’t budge. The day after this happened my aunt was having a great big birthday party. She invited everyone in her class except for my dad. My dad thought it had been a simple oversight and went to the party anyway. When he arrived she was the one answering the door to greet everyone. As soon as she saw it was my dad her great big smile turned into a frown and she told him he wasn’t invited and slammed the door in his face.  It’s funny how life turns out, I’m sure she never thought she would have to see him again outside of school and he ended up marrying her favorite cousin.

My Dad's 60th Birthday Party 032

My dad gave a wonderful speech to everyone. I just love my dad!!!

My sister was all mad at me for taking pictures of her. I only put one in here but I took about 30 of them. This is the last one I took because she gave me “the look”. If all those people hadn’t of been there she would have yelled at me at the second picture, so I figured it was time to stop.

My Dad's 60th Birthday Party 058

I love that we all get along and really love each other! My parent really lucked out on all of us!!!!

My Dad's 60th Birthday Party 066 My Dad's 60th Birthday Party 071

No party is complete without Yonap, my cousin. He is always telling the best stories that make everyone laugh. My brother Ozzy is the same way. I wish I had gotten some of that!

My Dad's 60th Birthday Party 072 My Dad's 60th Birthday Party 074

Tristan stayed in costume all night. This girl lives for dress-ups.

My Dad's 60th Birthday Party 076

It was a wonderful party. My dad is a very loved man.

Only one bad thing happened…a $200 bottle of tequila was broken by my cousin’s little girl. I’m so glad it wasn’t one of our kids that would have been the worst!

0 comments: