Monday, October 18, 2010

Our Little Pear Tree

We have lived in our house for over 8 years now and not once have we eaten the pears off of our tree. Last year my neighbor Marsha asked if she could have our pears to can. She got so many she gave then out to her friends. This years she has moved from our neighborhood so I figured I would give it a try-how hard can it be?. I’m so glad this is how I enter every situation or else I would probably never do anything. My other neighbor and friend Janette volunteered to help me do it. Her mom has everything we need.

Today we took the first step in our new domestic adventure of canning-picking the pears.

Picking Our Pear Tree 002 Picking Our Pear Tree 003 Picking Our Pear Tree 004 Picking Our Pear Tree 005 Picking Our Pear Tree 007 Picking Our Pear Tree 008 Picking Our Pear Tree 009 Picking Our Pear Tree 010 Picking Our Pear Tree 012 Picking Our Pear Tree 014

Not only is it dangerous work but it is also EXTREMELY HARD. I almost wish we could have video taped us. We kept dropping pears on each other's heads-not intentionally. We had all the kids crying at one  point or another. Finally Tristan said “I wish I had a helmet so I wouldn’t keep getting hurt.” Next thing I know she is off to the garage and returned with this. Picking Our Pear Tree 015Then the other two ran off to get their own helmet.  Picking Our Pear Tree 017

We couldn’t figure out how to hold the bag and pick the pears at the same time. I had the bag hanging from my arm but that only worked when it wasn’t very heavy. My genius kids would hang the bag from short branches next to them while they picked the pears. I was very impressed!

Picking Our Pear Tree 021 Picking Our Pear Tree 022 Picking Our Pear Tree 023 Picking Our Pear Tree 024 Picking Our Pear Tree 025 Picking Our Pear Tree 026 

They wanted to show me how it wouldn’t hurt anymore when the pears dropped on their heads-so cute!!!

 Picking Our Pear Tree 018 Picking Our Pear Tree 019 Picking Our Pear Tree 020

Sebastian was having a blast eating as many as he could. Lets hope he doesn't have diarrhea all night!

Picking Our Pear Tree 011

Then daddy showed up just in time to help us get the highest ones we couldn’t get ourselves. And of course, the kids had him wear a helmet-just in case.

Picking Our Pear Tree 031 Picking Our Pear Tree 033

We are letting them ripen up on our kitchen table before we actually can them. 

Table of Pears 001

I’m excited to see if they are really eatable.

0 comments: