For days her dress has been hanging like this in her room all ready to go!
With her doll and daddy in hand she was ready for her big day. She has wanted to be baptized for so long I can’t even remember the first time she mentioned it.
I just love this picture of them getting ready to walk into the church.
When she walked in she picked out the actual dress she would be dunked in the water wearing. I knew she would pick this one because it had the most ruffles. The other ones were way too plan.
She greeted some of the people that were there early and then headed for the dressing room.
So many people showed up that it filled the room. I wish I had remembered Chris & Tonya, Patty Jo & Brian with their family, and 3 of our neighbors. I felt terrible when I realized I had not invited them.
The cousins along with our two kids sang Tristan “The Rainbow Song”. Madi was allowed to go to an overnighter instead of coming to Tristan's baptism which kind of bothered me a lot, but it turned out beautifully without Madi there. Everyone from our bishopric showed up. I have only known one to show up not all 3-it was awesome, I love our ward!!!
Grandma Jo talked on baptism and Grandpa Jo (as he was accidently introduced) talked on the Holy Ghost. Both talks were just wonderful!!! Grandma Jo had not slept well for the past few night so she mistakenly missed a chuck of her talk and stumbled through it. I thought she did great. I’m so glad she had it all written down so Tristan can go back and read it one day.
Jo Ann’s Talk
BAPTISM TALK AT TRISTAN'S BAPTISM
Opening:
1. Thank you, Tristan, for asking me to give the Baptism talk
2. Your Grandpa and I are very proud of you for choosing to be baptized
Sins washed away: One of the wonderful things that is going to happen to you today is that your sins are all going to be washed away. Everybody but Jesus has done something wrong on earth. And when you do something wrong like be mean to your brother or sister or you break something that is special to your Mom - it is called a sin. One of the best parts of baptism is when you go under the water (with your Daddy's strong arm under you) and then come back up again, everything that you have ever done wrong is all gone. Your sins are all gone. They are all washed away. You are perfect. Isn't that wonderful?!!
Happy FOR YOU - Your Dad & Mom, your Sister and Brother, your Grandpa & I, your cousins, your Aunts and Uncles, and all of your friends that are here today are so happy for you.
JESUS: Somebody else is very happy for you, too. It is Jesus. (picture) He is so pleased that you are being baptized today. Jesus knew that God, his Father, wanted everyone to be baptized. So, though Jesus had never done anything wrong, he wanted to follow his Father's commandment that everyone should be baptized. He also wanted to be an example to all of us. So, Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist. Today, you are being baptized just like Jesus was baptized by your wonderful Daddy.
Grandma Dodge - I want to tell you about another Baptism in our family
Do you remember going thru the Draper Temple and seeing this baptismal font? (picture)
Do you remember that people after they die can be baptized in fonts in temples...like this one? When you turn 12, you can be baptized for people who have gone to live with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. (Picture of Mom) My Mom (your Great Grandma Dodge) loved Jesus. She had a picture of Jesus that looked just like this one. (picture of Jesus) - She looked at it every day for many many years. She would even look at his picture and talk to Jesus while she looked at his picture. One day it was her turn to go back and live in Heaven with Jesus. She wasn't a member of our church. So, while we were in Washington DC, I was able to be baptized for Grandma Dodge in the Washington DC Temple baptismal font like the one you saw in the Draper Temple. Tristan, I know that Grandma Dodge is looking down at you right now and she is so happy that you are being baptized today, too.
Closing: Tristan, I love you so very much & I am so happy that you are being baptized.
I SAY THIS IN THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST, AMEN
Tristan was so cute listening to the singing and talks with a big smile on her face the whole time.
Then it came time to actually be baptized in the water. The water was absolutely freezing. The ward before us had filled it the wrong way. They turned the water on hot only and when the water heater ran out for hot water all that was left was cold water which is the only thing that was felt by the time Tristan went in to be baptized. The proper way to do it , we learned, is to position the water at warm and while it is filling up the water heater can keep up with it and the water stays warm the whole time until the font is full.
As daddy went to dunk her in the water she said “Daddy I can’t-it’s too cold” and he said “I’m sorry princess you have to” and with that submerged her entirely into the water. He felt so bad!
I love that he gave her a long hug and a kiss after. That is exactly what he did with me and Paris when he baptized us. I do regret not taking these pictures, from this angle, when Paris was baptized, but I didn’t have my camera with me at that moment. I made sure I had it this time and I’m so glad I did!
Tristan said that she was freezing going into the water but when she was coming out of it she felt a warmness surround her entire body.
We were moved to the chapel for the next ward to be able to have their baptism. She received the Holy Ghost here and I told her a story about a dream I had many years ago. This is what I said….
My Dream
I was sitting on the bed, in our room, playing with Esher who was about 6 months old. All of a sudden an evil man came in my room to try and take him away. I jumped off the bed and started fighting the man with all my might. I was on the verge of completely dominated him I could feel, with every bone in my body, that I was going to win . I would be able to protect and keep my perfect boy safe with me. As I’m about to beat this evil man Tristan walked in our room. She walked in like she always walked into our room, with the biggest smile on her face ready to love everyone. Instantly, I fear took over my body and the man looked at me with an evil smile on his face as he turned his attention to Tristan. I knew I could not save them both and he knew it too. I could not do it alone! I raised my arm to the square and I said “In the name of Jesus Christ, I command you to leave!” He looked at me with deep fear in his eyes and poof he disappeared before he could lay a hand on either child. I ran to both of my beautiful children and gathered them up in my arms as close to my heart as possible. Then I woke up.
I kept going over the dream again and again. I love that we do receive revelation for ourselves and our family to help us do the right things. I realized then and forever, I hope, that we can not keep ourselves from falling away from Heavenly Father without His and Christ’s help in our lives. HE must be in our minds and heart to help us in our most desperate times of need and to be a part of our most joyous ones. We must teach our children the truths about God and HIS Son because without them we can easily be taken away by evil to places I would never want my perfect children to dwell. For a moment I thought I could do it, but I want to save all my children not just one for the moment, but each of them for all eternity so, in the end I was taught that ….We can not do it alone, no matter how strong and brilliant we might think we are-we all need God !!!
I am so proud of my beautiful girl for choosing to be baptized and for choosing to follow Christ in all HIS wisdom and love, so she can live Happily Ever After !!!
All the little kids sat around Paris and Jared so there was no room for me. My only regret the whole day. I should have pushed them over so I could have sat next to my Princess and My Love.
Everyone returned to our home for tamales, beans, & rice. My Love had accidently locked the front door so when I walked in and the Tamales were not on the counter I panicked. Veronica had made 70 of them for us and was going to bring them over while we were at the baptism. I thought she had forgotten. When I called her she told me she had left them outside the front door on the table we have out there. I was so relieved, that would have been a disaster! Oh and I must mention Terri’s salsa that everyone kept raving about-thank you Terri for adding to our yummy lunch something so good. I don't think you should give people the recipe I think you should bottle it up and sell it!!!
Tony took the camera from us and took pictures of everyone around the house. I love that he did this-he took some awesome pictures!
My Cute Love making everyone laugh as always!
Danielle made Tristan’s cake. It was a replica of her actual baptism dress-WE ALL LOVED IT!!!
It was delicious!!
Regan found the perfect spot where no one would steal her food.
It was the perfect day!!!
We love this perfect angel whom we are so very very blessed to call our daughter!
![]() |
| Tristan's Program |

0 comments:
Post a Comment